Four Herbal Teas To Lift Your Mood & Your Health

Posted on Tuesday 10 March 2015



Tea has always been a close comfort of mine - and it first started when I would curl up with a book and a blanket when I was feeling low and put the kettle on for a cuppa. Milk and sugar? Yes please. The refreshing and warm feeling you get after taking that first sip never goes away, and this is what first led me to realise that tea can temporarily lift my mood. How does the saying go - "happiness is just a mug away"? In my case, it is. 

After moving out of my parents house and into my own with my boyfriend, I was able to experiment a little bit more with what teas I would drink. I was already changing my everyday skincare products for herbal/organic ones, so why not change my tea? Last year, I was unaware of the amazing effects herbs can have on you when they are put straight into the body via tea. Now I feel like a different person, and quite the tea connoisseur. I have picked out four of my favourite herbal teas to share with you.

Pukka's 'Elderberry & Echinacea' Tea

Firstly let me say (quite shamefully) that I was drawn to this tea solely on the packaging. The box is patterned with a pink floral print and as you pull the box open, you are greeted with a beautifully printed tree. But more importantly, the tea is perfect for those moments when you are craving something sweet but don't want to be getting out the cake. The rich berry flavour hits you as you take the first sip, and you can feel the notes of elderberries, blackcurrants, elderflower and enchinacea each take the turn of dancing on your tongue. The blend together is warming and comforting, and gives you a slight boost to your energy. Suitable for vegans and completely free of anything nasty, this tea is the perfect sweet treat. The only downside I can think of is that it can get a little too overpowering and the sweetness can stick to the back of your throat - if you do not have a sweet tooth and are looking for something lighter and refreshing, this tea may not be for you.

Clipper's 'Snore & Peace' Tea

If a few months ago someone told me that tea could make me so drowsy and content at night time (baring in mind I take a lot of strong tablets that should knock me straight out at night), I wouldn't of even thought about trusting them. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping and was looking for something that would be able to help me at night. I looked at pillow sprays, herbal sleeping tablets and many other apparently 'sleep inducing' potions but none really caught my eye. Something inside me suggested I take a look at trying a tea specifically designed for helping you get a natural, long sleep. I hadn't previously heard of Clipper tea's, but when I saw their "Snore & Peace" tea there was no reason against trying it out. Blended with herbs that are claimed to be the best sleep aids, the tea has a very unique flavour. The lavender I must admit is slightly overpowering, and the chamomile and lemon balm does not balance the lavender out, however - the first time I took a sip of this tea I started giggling and could not wipe the smile off of my face. The infusion took me to a place I have never been before, I was in a dream-like state and had the best nights natural sleep.

Twining's 'Apple Crunch' Tea

I have always loved the refreshing taste of apples. There is something about apples that has a very satisfactory healing feeling when I take a bite. When I was younger and was feeling under the weather, I would always go into my mums kitchen and grab an apple. I don't know why this was - but it is something I instinctively did every time I was craving a health boost. Natural fresh apple juice was also something that I loved to gulp down when I was craving something revitalizing - so why not try it in the form of a tea? I bought Twining's 'Apple Crunch' Tea on a whim when I was shopping for groceries, and I am so glad I did. The infusion of all natural, caffeine free ingredients come together to create a really crisp and thirst-quenching blend. You can also leave the tea to cool down and add ice and lemonade in summer if it is too hot for a warm drink! This drink definitely gives you a burst of energy and revitalizes your body if your in need of a little lift. 

Tetley's 'Super Green Tropical Immune' Tea

Green tea has been a family staple for the last year or so. My mum, brother and I used to pour green tea into huge mugs in summer and drink until our hearts were content. With having a thirst for tropical fruits and flavours, Tetley's Green Tea is what it is all about for me. With crushed mango, pineapple and vitamin C added into the blend, this green tea acts as a great immune-system booster. My immune system is absolutely appalling at the moment from being so ill recently, and I must admit, I have always found that taking vitamin supplements and tablets doesn't really interest me. Tetley's Green Tea is like a huge vitamin in a mug - which taste amazing too. When I am feeling particularly poorly and sorry for myself, I pour a steaming hot mug, leave the tea bag in and drink cup after cup. This tea is also great if your interested in the antioxidants green tea has to offer, but don't like the taste. It still has all the amazing ingredients, but with a fruitier taste. 

Rebekah 


Post a Comment

NEW